US FDA: GE Salmon as Safe to Eat as Non-GE SalmonNovember 25, 2015
Based on sound science and a comprehensive review, the US Food and Drug Administration (US-FDA) has approved AquaBounty Technologies' AquAdvantage Salmon, a genetically engineered (GE) Atlantic salmon that grows to market size more quickly than non-GE farm-raised Atlantic salmon.
The FDA determined that food from AquAdvantage Salmon is as safe to eat and as nutritious as food from other non-GE Atlantic salmon and that there are no biologically relevant differences in the nutritional profile of AquAdvantage Salmon compared to that of other farm-raised Atlantic salmon.
In a statement, Bernadette Dunham, director of the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine said, "The F.D.A. has thoroughly analyzed and evaluated the data and information submitted by AquaBounty regarding the AquAdvantage salmon and determined that they have met the regulatory requirements for approval, including that food from the fish is safe to eat."
For more information, read the FDA news release.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Cornell Alliance for Science Launches Global Conversation to End Hunger
- Political Goodwill Key in Sudan's Adoption of Bt Cotton
- 'Orphan Gene' to Boost Protein Content of Staple Crops
- Synthetic Biologists Make Genetic Circuits for Programmable Plants
- Scientists Sequence Resurrection Grass Genome
- Filipino Students Learn about Modern Biotech Principles and Applications
- Role of Biotech Communication Highlighted in Philippine National Biotech Week
- "Off" Switch for Starch Production in Plants Discovered
- The Role of PpMYB10.1 Gene in Anthocyanin Accumulation in Peach
- Enhancing Blast Disease Resistance by Overexpression of the OsCPK4 Gene in Rice
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Engineer Algae to Specifically Kill Cancer Cells
- University of California Scientists Create GE Malaria-Blocking Mosquitoes
- US FDA: GE Salmon as Safe to Eat as Non-GE Salmon
From the BICs
- Biotech Information Network Gathers for a Biosafety Seminar in Malaysia
- Independent Professional Seed Association Annual Conference
Subscribe to CBU: