International Team Has Sequenced the Atlantic Salmon GenomeJune 18, 2014
The International Cooperation to Sequence the Atlantic Salmon Genome (ICSASG) has successfully mapped the whole genome sequence of the Atlantic salmon. The fully assembled reference sequence, which is available for researchers worldwide, will have a major impact on revealing information about salmon and other salmonids, such as rainbow trout and Pacific salmon.
Dr. Steinar Bergseth, Chair of the International Steering Committee for the ICSASG, said "Knowledge of the whole genome makes it possible to see how genes interact with each other, and examine the exact gene that governs a certain trait such as resistance against a particular disease. The development of vaccines and targeted treatment is much closer."
For more information, read http://www.genomebc.ca/news-events/news-releases/2014/scientific-breakthrough-international-collaboration-has-sequenced-atlantic-salmon-genome/.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Researchers Sequence and Analyze Eucalyptus Genome
- Changes in Crop Production Projected as Air Temperatures Increase due to Climate Change
- Climate-smart Agriculture Sparks Economic Renewal
- Vitamin A-rich Biotech Bananas to Undergo Human Trials
- New Plant Breeding Tool to Help Make Perennial Crops
- Biotech Sugarcane Field Tests Start in South America
- ARS Scientists Develop New Strategy to Investigate PSD in Soybeans
- Genome Canada Opens Food Security Research Competition
- 10 Million Farmers Plant Climate-smart Rice
- Owen Paterson Visits John Innes Centre
- EU Ministers Agree to Renationalize Approval of GM Crops
- SlMKK Genes from Tomato Contribute to Plant Resistance to Gray Mold
- Different Drought Levels Cause Changes in Gene Expression in Arabidopsis Reproductive Tissues
- Effects of Bt Cotton-Based Cropping Systems and Their Fertility Levels on Succeeding Wheat Crop
Beyond Crop Biotech
- International Team Has Sequenced the Atlantic Salmon Genome
- Scientists Develop GM Mosquitoes to Fight Spread of Malaria
- Estimation of Intramuscular Fat Percentage through Gene Expression
- Pacific Rim Summit on Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy
- Livestock Biotech Summit
- ISAAA Releases Updated Agricultural Biotechnology Booklet
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (March 22, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (March 22, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: