Crop Biotech Update

Spanish Farmers Continues to Plant GM Corn in 2012

January 20, 2012

As of the latest survey by the Foundation for Antama Markin on "Seeds of Bt maize in Spain", more than 90% of Spanish farmers who planted Bt maize in 2011 demand that they want to cultivate GM crops which are resistant to insects and tolerant to herbicides in 2012.

The survey conducted in October and November in 2011 includes the perception of Bt corn farmer users and non users. Around 95% of Bt corn farmers will plant again in 2012, while the remaining 5% have not decided yet. The report, includes the impressions of a total of 200 farmers in Catalonia and Aragon farmers who plant more than five hectares.

Details of survey results in Spanish can be read at http://fundacion-antama.org/el-90-de-los-agricultores-espanoles-que-sembraron-transgenicos-en-2011-demandan-nuevas-variedades-resistentes-a-insectos-y-tolerantes-a-herbicidas/