Implementing Holistic Food Policies: Strategy for Improving National SecurityMay 21, 2010
"Increased agricultural productivity in developing countries can increase national security, but it requires supportive governments, a holistic approach, and local implementation," said Paul E. Schickler, president of DuPont business Pioneer Hi-Bred to the attendees of The Chicago Council's Symposium on Global Agriculture and Food Security on May 20, 2010.
The symposium was attended by senior leaders from the Obama administration, U.S. Congress, business, policy, NGO and international organizations to discuss policies and execute strategies for food security in the USA and the rest of the world. The Obama administration claims that food security is an important component of national security, and this can be achieved by implementing holistic food policies involving both the public and private sectors. According to Schickler, the partnership of DuPont and Uttar Pradesh Government's Department of Agriculture in India is an example of applying holistic strategies in enhancing livelihoods and food availability. This partnership was initiated to optimize farmers inputs and increase their net income. Aside from that, the farmers will undergo agronomic and technical training and will also be guided during the critical phases of development.
"Recognition of the role that agricultural development can play in a country's economic development, stability and security is critical," said Schickler. "The difference between a farmer having access to improved farming practices or not can often be traced to a country's supporting structures and policies."
For more information, visit http://www.pioneer.com/web/site/portal/menuitem.ccdcf60a464ff32b21332133d10093a0/.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Economic Crisis Threatens Agriculture in Europe and Asia
- BREAD Grants for Basic Agricultural Research
- Kenya Launches National Biosafety Authority Board
- Biosafety Law Translated in Local Languages of Burkina Faso
- Soil Bacteria and Fungi as Effective Bio-fertilizers
- Peruvian Scientist Gets Appeal from Supreme Court
- FDA Oks Use of Vistive Gold Soybean Oil
- Scientists Release Biocontrol for Waterhyacinth
- Implementing Holistic Food Policies: Strategy for Improving National Security
- Aphid's Chemical Signals as Biocontrol Agent Against Itself
- Panel Discussion about Public Perceptions on Adoption of Agri Biotech
- Monsanto Donates Seeds to Haiti
- Chinese Scientists Complete First Multi-crop Large-scale Evaluation of GM Ecological Impacts
- Social Responsibility in Promoting Transgenics
- New CIAT-HarvestPlus Office Inaugurated in India
- EFSA Oks GM Maize Varieties
- Optimal Ecology of Bioinsecticide
- Effects of Bt Corn on the Reproduction of Non-target Pest Corn Leafhopper
- Biological Clock Controls Carbohydrate Metabolism in Arabidopsis at night
- Developing DNA Markers of Rice Blast Resistance Gene Locus
- International Seminar on Horticulture to Support Food Security 2010
- ISAAA Releases Two New Videos on "Biotech Agriculture"
- BioLatina 2010 in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- International Biotech Seminar and the 5th KBI Congress 2010
- TERI-ITEC Biosafety Training Program for African Nationals
- CBU Feedback Survey
Subscribe to CBU: