Peruvian Scientist Gets Appeal from Supreme CourtMay 21, 2010
The Peruvian Superior Court has approved an appeal from Dr. Ernesto Bustamante, vice president of the Peruvian Association of Biologists, on the penal case for defamation filed against him by another Peruvian scientist Dr. Antonietta Gutierrez. Bustamante, a biotechnologist in the medical sciences, was found guilty for defamation by a minor court.
Bustamante questioned the quality of the work, its publication in a website of a Malaysian nongovernment organization, and foremost, the conclusions derived from the research, that purportedly showed the existence of up to 33% of illegally planted GM maize in one of the valleys in the Peruvian Coast. An independent analysis of the research work by other Peruvian and international scientists confirmed the position of Dr. Bustamante.
PeruBiotec, the Peruvian Association for the Development of Biotechnology, is calling on scientists to join an electronic signature campaign in support of Dr. Bustamante and to free discussion in the realm of science. The petition says that it calls "upon Peru to restore the ability of scientists to exercise their discipline and pursue truth in accordance with the values of the free world, and call upon the Peruvian authorities to reverse the ill-considered and unfounded verdict."
Interested individuals may go to https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHJ3T2stY3VKZk5YUVhZNFd3UWdfc1E6MA&ifq.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Economic Crisis Threatens Agriculture in Europe and Asia
- BREAD Grants for Basic Agricultural Research
- Kenya Launches National Biosafety Authority Board
- Biosafety Law Translated in Local Languages of Burkina Faso
- Soil Bacteria and Fungi as Effective Bio-fertilizers
- Peruvian Scientist Gets Appeal from Supreme Court
- FDA Oks Use of Vistive Gold Soybean Oil
- Scientists Release Biocontrol for Waterhyacinth
- Implementing Holistic Food Policies: Strategy for Improving National Security
- Aphid's Chemical Signals as Biocontrol Agent Against Itself
- Panel Discussion about Public Perceptions on Adoption of Agri Biotech
- Monsanto Donates Seeds to Haiti
- Chinese Scientists Complete First Multi-crop Large-scale Evaluation of GM Ecological Impacts
- Social Responsibility in Promoting Transgenics
- New CIAT-HarvestPlus Office Inaugurated in India
- EFSA Oks GM Maize Varieties
- Optimal Ecology of Bioinsecticide
- Effects of Bt Corn on the Reproduction of Non-target Pest Corn Leafhopper
- Biological Clock Controls Carbohydrate Metabolism in Arabidopsis at night
- Developing DNA Markers of Rice Blast Resistance Gene Locus
- International Seminar on Horticulture to Support Food Security 2010
- ISAAA Releases Two New Videos on "Biotech Agriculture"
- BioLatina 2010 in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- International Biotech Seminar and the 5th KBI Congress 2010
- TERI-ITEC Biosafety Training Program for African Nationals
- CBU Feedback Survey
Subscribe to CBU: