USDA Finalizes SECURE, Eases Up Biotech RegulationsMay 20, 2020
United States Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Purdue gave a statement providing the final rule to significantly update and modernize the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) biotechnology regulations. The Sustainable, Ecological, Consistent, Uniform, Responsible, Efficient (SECURE) rule under the Plant Protection Act aims to simplify biotechnology regulations by removing duplicate and antiquated processes that USDA has been using for its 30 years of service. The move is expected to facilitate the development and availability of modern biotechnology and its products closer and faster to farmers and beneficiaries while maintaining the transparent, consistent, science-based, and risk-proportionate regulatory system.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency supports the finalization of SECURE and declared to continue their own efforts to safely reduce unnecessary regulations as well. They plan to issue their own proposed rule within the year. Likewise, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration will be working alongside the USDA in promoting agricultural biotechnology innovations using scientific-based regulatory approaches that will ensure food safety among American consumers.
Read the full news release by USDA for more details.
You might also like:
- USDA Revises Biotech Regulations to SECURE Agri Innovations
- US Observes National Biotech Month, Launches Joint USDA-FDA-EPA Website for Biotech Regulation
- US Promotes GMO Education to Consumers through 'Feed Your Mind' Initiative
ISAAA shares, disseminates, and promotes science-based information to help in achieving global agricultural sustainability and development. During this time of COVID-19 pandemic, we monitor research on treatments, vaccines and keep track of the pandemic's effect on food security and agriculture. We help the public make informed decisions and actions to mitigate and recover from the impact of COVID-19. At this crucial time, we need your help. Please support our efforts today from as little as $10
See more articles:
- Medicago Announces Positive Results of Trials for its COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate
News from Around the World
- ISAAA Monitors Progress of Research on COVID-19
- Kenyan Researchers Seek Approval to Introduce Disease-Resistant Cassava
- ARS Scientists Identify Genes Associated with Postharvest Deterioration of Fresh-Cut Lettuce
- USDA Finalizes SECURE, Eases Up Biotech Regulations
- Scientists Solve 20-Year Old Wheat Genetics Puzzle
- South Australia Moves Closer to Planting GM Crops
- EFSA Releases Scientific Opinion on Oilseed Rape MS11
- Plant Viruses Found to Potentially Treat Diabetes, Arthritis
Plant Breeding Innovations
- CRISPR-Cas12b/C2c1 Tested in Targeted Mutagenesis of a Dicot
Subscribe to CBU: