SEARCA BIC Holds Region-wide Public Briefing on Philippine Biosafety RegulationsApril 3, 2019
More than a hundred participants composed of farmers, local government officials and representives from the private sector and academe from the provinces of Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, and La Union attended the Biotechnology 101 and Joint Department Circular (JDC) No. 1, Series of 2016 Public Briefing held at Plaza del Norte, Laoag City, Ilocos Norte on March 28, 2019.
Scientists and experts from the University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) and the Biotechnology Coalition of the Philippines gave presentations on biotechnology, food and environmental safety of genetically modified (GM) crops, different biotech products in the pipeline, and new breeding innovations. Representatives from the Departments of Health, Agriculture, Science and Technology, and Interior and Local Government were also present to discuss the guidelines of their respective agencies in the implementation of the JDC as well as address questions from the audience.
The participants expressed their anticipation on approval of new GM crops in the country (i.e., Bt eggplant and Golden Rice) and inquired if the approval process can be expedited. The experts explained that the rigid regulatory system is important to guarantee the safety of GM crops in the market. They also affirmed the validity of the biosafety regulations as the Philippines has one of the most stringent regulatory guidelines worldwide. Another concern raised was the price of Bt eggplant seeds. Ms. Anna Pauleen Masanga from the UPLB-Institute of Plant Breeding and a member of the Bt eggplant project team assured the group that the seeds will be made available to farmers at a reasonable price once it is commercialized.
The activity was organized by the SEARCA Biotechnology Information Center (SEARCA BIC) in collaboration with the Department of Agriculture (DA)-Biotechnology Information Office, ISAAA, DA Regional Office I, and Ilocos Norte Provincial Agricultural Office.
For more details about biotechnology developments in the Philippines, visit the SEARCA BIC website.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Ministry of STI Technocrats Get Primes on Biotechnology and Biosafety
- USDA FAS Reports Promising Results of GE Corn Field Trials in Mozambique
- Nigerian Legislators Give the Country's Biosafety Agency a Clean Bill of Health
- Scientists Discover Enzymes to Help Wheat Cope with Salinity
- SEARCA BIC Holds Region-wide Public Briefing on Philippine Biosafety Regulations
- International Research Team Discovers Important Mechanism in Plant Immunity
- Researchers Test C and N Partitioning Bt Rice under Varying N Treatments
Plant Breeding Innovations
- New Plant Breeding Technologies Designed to Help Attain Food Security
- EU Health Commissioner Calls for New Legislation for Plant Breeding Innovations
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Study Reveals Plant Genes that Shaped the World
- Scientists Sequence Walnut Genome
- Photosynthesis Confererence 2019
- Register to Plant Genomics and Gene Editing Congress: Asia (10% Discount for CBU Subscribers)
- What is Plant Science?
- GM Maize in the Philippines – A Success Story
Subscribe to CBU: