GM Maize in the Philippines – A Success StoryApril 3, 2019
The Philippines has a long history with GM maize having been the first country in Asia to approve a GM crop for use as food and feed with Bt maize in 2002. The country's biosafety regulations were implemented in 1990 and investments for infrastructure for biotechnology date as far back as 1979.
The success story of GM maize is presented in a new publication titled GM Maize in the Philippines, a Success Story released by Asia-Pacific Consortium on Agricultural Biotechnology amd Bioresources (ApCoAB) and Asia-Pacific Association of Agricultural Research Institutions (APAARI). Given the extensive history of GM maize, the booklet cannot be exhaustive. However, the publication seeks to give the readers a window on the myriad factors that formed the story. While all transformation events of GM maize that have been commercialized to date have been owned by private corporations, various academic, professional, non-government organizations, and international groups have performed various roles in information sharing and capacity building on GM technology. One lesson from the Philippine experience is that a multi-sectoral effort is needed to facilitate the safe and responsible use of GM technology for development.
Download the publication for free from APAARI.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Ministry of STI Technocrats Get Primes on Biotechnology and Biosafety
- USDA FAS Reports Promising Results of GE Corn Field Trials in Mozambique
- Nigerian Legislators Give the Country's Biosafety Agency a Clean Bill of Health
- Scientists Discover Enzymes to Help Wheat Cope with Salinity
- SEARCA BIC Holds Region-wide Public Briefing on Philippine Biosafety Regulations
- International Research Team Discovers Important Mechanism in Plant Immunity
- Researchers Test C and N Partitioning Bt Rice under Varying N Treatments
Plant Breeding Innovations
- New Plant Breeding Technologies Designed to Help Attain Food Security
- EU Health Commissioner Calls for New Legislation for Plant Breeding Innovations
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Study Reveals Plant Genes that Shaped the World
- Scientists Sequence Walnut Genome
- Photosynthesis Confererence 2019
- Register to Plant Genomics and Gene Editing Congress: Asia (10% Discount for CBU Subscribers)
- What is Plant Science?
- GM Maize in the Philippines – A Success Story
Subscribe to CBU: