Study Explains Auxin's Role in Rice Root ProliferationJuly 11, 2018
A well-developed root system in rice (Oryza sativa) and other crops can ensure efficient absorption of nutrients and water. Auxin is a vital regulator for root development, however, the mechanisms by which auxin controls root development in rice are not fully understood. Researchers from the Huazhong Agricultural University in China, led by Tao Zhang, aim to explain these mechanisms.
The team found that overexpression of a YUC gene, which is vital for auxin synthesis, causes massive proliferation of crown roots. On the other hand, the disruption of the TAA1 gene, which functions upstream of the YUC genes, greatly reduces rice crown root development. Further analysis found that the crown root proliferation from YUC overexpression lines required the transcription factor WOX11.
The team also developed taa1 mutants via CRISPR-Cas9. These mutants exhibited crown rootless phenotype, which was partially rescued by overexpression of the transcription factor WOX11. WOX11 expression was also found to be induced in YUC overexpression lines, but is repressed in the taa1 mutants.
These results indicate that auxin synthesized by the TAA/YUC pathway is sufficient for crown root development in rice. Auxin activates WOX11 transcription, which drives root initiation and development. This establishes the YUC-Auxin-WOX11 complex for crown root development in rice.
For more information, read the article in Frontiers in Plant Science.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Journalist and Experts Promote Biotech to Attain Food Security
- Birthplace of African Rice Domestication Found in Mali
- American Soybean Association Requests Accurate Bioengineered Food Labeling
- LibertyLink® GT27™ Soybeans Commercialized in the U.S.
- Public Consultations Set for Golden Rice Field Trials
- Scientists Discover Genetic Resistance to Wheat Fungal Disease
- Int'l Research Team Finds New Receptor Used in Symbiosis between Legumes and Rhizobia
- JIC Study on Rice Blast Pathogen Elucidates Plant-pathogen Co-evolution
- Rice MicroRNA Improves Abiotic Stress Tolerance in Creeping Bentgrass
- Researchers Find Gene for Manganese Tolerance in Rice
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Study Explains Auxin's Role in Rice Root Proliferation
- GS9 Regulates Rice Grain Shape and Appearance
- Researcher Uses CRISPR-Cas9 as Immune System for Plants
- CRISPR-Edited Tobacco Produces Improved Proteins for Pharmaceutical Use
- Genome Editing in Agriculture: Methods, Applications, and Governance
From the BICs
- SABC & ICRISAT Recommend Measures to Boost PPP in Agriculture Research
- BioTaiwan 2018
- Author Shares Journey from Anti-GMO Activism to GMO Advocacy at Talking Biotech Podcast
Subscribe to CBU: