Enzyme from Chinese Tallow Improves Freezing Tolerance in Oilseed RapeApril 18, 2018
Chinese tallow (Sapium sebiferum) is an important oil tree and herbal medicine in China. Stearoyl-acyl carrier protein desaturase (SAD) is an enzyme that is involved in the transformation of saturated fatty acids into unsaturated fatty acids in oil, which influences the freezing tolerance of plants. A research team led by Dan Peng of the College of Bioscience and Biotechnology of Central South University of Forestry and Technology in China aimed to test if freezing tolerance can be regulated by controlling the expression of SsSAD.
The team found that SsSAD expression in Chinese tallow increased under freezing stress. To confirm this, researchers overexpressed SsSAD in oilseed rape (Brassica napus). Oilseed rape plants overexpressing the SsSAD gene exhibited significantly higher linoleic (18:2) and linolenic acid (18:3) content as well as enhanced freezing tolerance.
These results suggest that SsSAD overexpression in oilseed rape can increase the content of polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are pivotal in improving freezing tolerance. SsSAD overexpression could therefore be useful in the production of freeze-tolerant varieties of oilseed rape.
For more information, read the article in Plant Science.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Science Enthusiasts Call for Science-based Biotech Policies in Uganda
- Kenyan Government Banks on Bt Cotton to Revive Textile Industry
- Corn Hybrids with High Yields Come with More Variability
- Agricultural Biotechnology Research Center of South Korea Officially Launched
- Experiences on Implementing GM Labeling Laws Tackled in Seminar
- Engineers Discover Bacterium for Greener and Cheaper Biofuel Production
- New Evidence Shows Sweet Potato Came Before Humans; Says No Early Contact Between America and Polynesia
- Scientists from Wageningen University Discover Wild Relative of Tomato Resistant to Many Insects
- Improving Starch Yield of Tobacco Using Cassava Gene ssiv
- Cloning and Sequencing of Two Genes Encoding Methylketone Synthase 2 (MKS2) from Tobacco
- Enzyme from Chinese Tallow Improves Freezing Tolerance in Oilseed Rape
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Cas9 Technology Used to Analyze Role of MORC1 in Barley
- Chinese Research Team Finds Chloroplast Biogenesis Genes in Rice
- NDC80 Protein Complex Responsible for Cell Division in Arabidopsis
- Researchers Increase Lycopene Content in Tomato
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Develop First Gene Drive Targeting World's Invasive Crop Pest
- Chinese Scientists Improve Microbe's Succinate-Producing Ability
- Genome Editing Infographic
Subscribe to CBU: