Chinese Research Team Finds Chloroplast Biogenesis Genes in RiceApril 18, 2018
Chloroplast genes are transcribed by the plastid-encoded RNA polymerase (PEP) or nucleus‐encoded RNA polymerase. FRUCTOKINASE‐LIKE PROTEINS (FLNs) are carbohydrate kinases that act as part of the PEP complex. However, the mechanisms underlying FLN activity are quite unknown. In their study, the team of Lei He of the China National Rice Research Institute studied the OsFLN1 gene, a homolog of HSA1/OsFLN2, and the effect of its knockout on chloroplast biogenesis.
The team found that OsFLN1 is localized in the chloroplast. Analysis revealed that OsFLN1 and HSA1/OsFLN2 interact with THIOREDOXINZ (OsTRXz) to regulate chloroplast development. To prove this, the team generated fln1 knockout mutants via CRISPR-Cas9. These mutants exhibited severe albino phenotype and seedling lethality. The team also developed OsTRXz-knockout mutants, which also showed a similar albino and seedling lethality phenotype to that of the fln1 mutants.
Further analysis revealed that the transcription and translation of PEP‐dependent genes were strongly inhibited in fln1 and trxz mutants.
These results show that OsFLN1 and HSA1/OsFLN2 contribute to chloroplast biogenesis and plant growth.
For more information, read the article in Journal of Integrative Plant Biology.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Science Enthusiasts Call for Science-based Biotech Policies in Uganda
- Kenyan Government Banks on Bt Cotton to Revive Textile Industry
- Corn Hybrids with High Yields Come with More Variability
- Agricultural Biotechnology Research Center of South Korea Officially Launched
- Experiences on Implementing GM Labeling Laws Tackled in Seminar
- Engineers Discover Bacterium for Greener and Cheaper Biofuel Production
- New Evidence Shows Sweet Potato Came Before Humans; Says No Early Contact Between America and Polynesia
- Scientists from Wageningen University Discover Wild Relative of Tomato Resistant to Many Insects
- Improving Starch Yield of Tobacco Using Cassava Gene ssiv
- Cloning and Sequencing of Two Genes Encoding Methylketone Synthase 2 (MKS2) from Tobacco
- Enzyme from Chinese Tallow Improves Freezing Tolerance in Oilseed Rape
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Cas9 Technology Used to Analyze Role of MORC1 in Barley
- Chinese Research Team Finds Chloroplast Biogenesis Genes in Rice
- NDC80 Protein Complex Responsible for Cell Division in Arabidopsis
- Researchers Increase Lycopene Content in Tomato
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Develop First Gene Drive Targeting World's Invasive Crop Pest
- Chinese Scientists Improve Microbe's Succinate-Producing Ability
- Genome Editing Infographic
Subscribe to CBU: