FAO and OECD Promote Responsible Investment in AgriFebruary 21, 2018
The Organization for the Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) launched a pilot project to commence the practical application of the OECD-FAO Guidance for Responsible Agricultural Supply Chains, which provides a practical tool to help enterprises observe these and other standards of responsible business conduct.
The objective of the project is to improve the implementation of the Guidance and internationally-agreed standards on responsible production, sourcing and supply chain management in the agricultural sector.
Agricultural enterprises are vital in the fulfillment of the Sustainable Development Goals by generating the much-needed investment, decent employment, developing productivity and supply chains that are beneficial to producers and consumers. However, business operations of these enterprises can also have a negative impact on workers, human rights, the environment, food security/nutrition, and tenure rights. The project, which starts with 30 leading enterprises, will strengthen the ability of companies to avoid contributing to negative impacts while meeting global sustainability challenges.
Read more about the project from the FAO news release.
ISAAA shares, disseminates, and promotes science-based information to help in achieving global agricultural sustainability and development. During this time of COVID-19 pandemic, we monitor research on treatments, vaccines and keep track of the pandemic's effect on food security and agriculture. We help the public make informed decisions and actions to mitigate and recover from the impact of COVID-19. At this crucial time, we need your help. Please support our efforts today from as little as $10
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- TWAS Elects New Fellows for 2018
- FAO and OECD Promote Responsible Investment in Agri
- Social Media Campaign Empowers Women in Science
- Meta-Analysis of 21 Years of Data Reveals Benefits of GE Maize
- Research Team Finds Gene that Improves Plant Growth and Conversion to Biofuels
- Green Super Rice for A Greener Revolution
- Study Reveals How Plants Get Their Nitrogen Fix
- Sainsbury Laboratory Scientists Solved 79-Year-Old Mystery of Plant Response to Heat
- International Research Team Gains New Insights into Tomato Breeding
- Mustard Gene Improves Health-Promoting Compounds in Tomato
- Small Signaling Peptide Enhances Drought Tolerance in Rice
- ShCIGT Confers Abiotic Stress Tolerance in Tomato
Plant Breeding Innovations
- ZFN Used to Study Rice SSIVa Gene
- Researchers Test CRISPR-Cas9 Gene Editing on Brown Planthopper
- Disruption of OsSEC3A Induces Plant Defense Responses in Rice
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Gene that Could Make More Viable Ever-bearing Strawberries
- Scientists Use CRISPR to Make Cellular Recorders
- International Biotechnology and Research Conference 2018
Subscribe to CBU: