Kenyan Maize and Cotton Farmers Petition for Bt Maize and Bt Cotton SeedsMay 10, 2017
Amid the prevailing drought and army worms' invasion in Kenya, farmers have petitioned the government to avail of Bt cotton and Bt maize seeds for planting. One of their leaders from the Central region, Mr. Mugo Magondu, voiced out their question about why farmers in Kenya should continue to face these challenges while modern agricultural technology can provide a solution. He said this during a farmer's agri-biotechnology and biosafety sensitization forum held on April 28, 2017.
Mr. Jackson Omwoyo, a maize farmers group chair expressed his concern on the notable push and pull among government ministries and regulatory agencies that are delaying the adoption of agri-biotechnology. "There is a technology that has been developed to benefit the public. If you don't trust the information provided locally, why not send a team to the countries already growing these crops to see how it is done for us to adopt the same here in Kenya?"
The forum, which was co-organized by ISAAA AfriCenter, Open Forum on Agricultural Biotechnology (OFAB Kenya) and the Program for Biosafety Systems, was also graced by representatives from Agricultural Food Authority, National Biosafety Authority, Kenya Agricultural Livestock and Research Organization, and universities.
For more details, send an e-mail to ISAAA AfriCenter Director, Dr. Margaret Karembu at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ISAAA shares, disseminates, and promotes science-based information to help in achieving global agricultural sustainability and development. During this time of COVID-19 pandemic, we monitor research on treatments, vaccines and keep track of the pandemic's effect on food security and agriculture. We help the public make informed decisions and actions to mitigate and recover from the impact of COVID-19. At this crucial time, we need your help. Please support our efforts today from as little as $10
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- ISAAA Presents 2016 Annual Report on GM Crops Adoption in Beijing
- Kenyan Maize and Cotton Farmers Petition for Bt Maize and Bt Cotton Seeds
- International Consortium Releases Barley Genome Sequence
- Study Finds Unexpected Strategy to Delay or Reverse Evolution of Resistance by Pests to GM Crops
- Brazil Leads the Developing Countries in GM Crop Adoption
- US Gov't Plans to Counter ‘Misinformation' on Agri-biotech Products
- In Future Climates, Modified Soybeans Yield More
- Wheat Multipathogen Resistance Gene Confers Anthracnose and Rust Resistance in Sorghum
- CaDIR1 Gene Regulates the Drought Stress Response in Pepper
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Development of Canker-Resistant Citrus through CRISPR-Cas9 Editing of Susceptibility Gene Promoter
Beyond Crop Biotech
- US FDA Approves DIY Genetic Test Kit
- Tea Tree Genome Reveals Insights on Its Flavor, Evolution of Caffeine Biosynthesis
- Pioneering Women in Sustainable Agriculture and Food Biotechnology
- Engineering Our Food: A Discussion of Genetically Modified Foods
- Watch the First Commercial Arctic® Apple Trees Being Planted
Subscribe to CBU: