Agricultural Academy of Japan Proposes Conduct of Confined Field Trial of GM CropsMarch 15, 2017
The Agricultural Academy of Japan, a professional academic organization for agriculture, held a press conference on their proposal to conduct a confined field trial of various GM crops, with priority to herbicide tolerant GM sugar beet in Hokkaido farms. The media briefing was held at the Ministry of Agriculture, Fishery and Forestry in Tokyo on March 1, 2017, and attended by representatives from 10 media outlets in the country.
The proposal aims to conduct a field trial of GM crops, especially herbicide tolerant GM sugar beet to confirm the cost-cutting benefits of the technology enjoyed by HT sugar beet planting countries such as the USA and Canada. The non-labor intensive technology saves cost from labor, weeding activities and utilizes direct seeding rather than the planting of seedlings.
The proposal was made by the Academy to the national government and Hokkaido government, the first of its kind, which is hoped to resonate to other places in Japan so they will also benefit from the technology. The proposal was uploaded to the Academy website and forwarded to Governments and their research institutions, as well as to relevant academic associations.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Religious Leaders in Uganda Learn about New Agricultural Technologies
- Ethiopian Environment Minister Promotes Biotech to Address Food and Economic Challenges
- US Joins the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture
- Cornell University Professor Advocates Consumption of GMOs
- University of Arizona Scientist Develops Aflatoxin-free Corn Using RNA from Fungus
- Benefits of Plant Science to ASEAN's Smallholder Farmers Highlighted at Jakarta Forum
- Indian Universities Develop Bt Cotton Varieties with Reusable Seeds
- Agricultural Academy of Japan Proposes Conduct of Confined Field Trial of GM Crops
- Scientists Investigate Effects of GE Maize on Arthropod Food Webs
- Citrus Psorosis Virus Coat Protein-derived Construct Confers Resistance in Citrus against Psorosis
Plant Breeding Innovations
- CRISPR/Cas9-based Gene Knockout in Watermelon
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Tilapia Fish Holds Genetic Key to Salt Tolerance
- ESF Scientists Develop Transgenic American Chestnut Trees
- Voices and Views: Messages to the Public
- The Petri Dish Goes Online
Subscribe to CBU: