Trehalase Genes Regulate Expression of the Chitin Synthesis in Red Flour BeetleSeptember 14, 2016
RNA interference is an effective approach for gene function studies and could be used for controlling pests. Trehalase is a key gene in chitin synthesis in insects. Hangzhou Normal University researchers led by Bin Tang, studied five trehalase genes (TcTre1-1, TcTre1-2, TcTre1-3, TcTre1-4 and TcTre2) from the red flour beetle (Tribolium castaneum) using RNAi, regardless if the functions of these trehalases can be used for pest control.
Results showed that the expression of other genes related to chitin synthesis decreased significantly when the expression of the TcTre2 gene was suppressed. The results also revealed different abnormal phenotypes and the observed mortality rates ranging from 17 to 42% after suppression of any of the five trehalase genes. These indicate that silencing any trehalase gene, especially TcTre2 gene, can lead to moulting deformities and high mortality by regulating gene expression in the chitin synthesis.
For more information, read the full article in BMC Biotechnology.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO Projects Increase in Maize, Wheat, and Rice Grain Output
- Kanayo Nwanze Receives Inaugural Africa Food Prize
- Uganda's Minister of S&T Lauds Researchers on Biotech Innovations
- Kenya's National Biosafety Authority Gives GM Cotton Partial Nod
- Scientists Develop New Approach to Genetic Modification of Maize and Other Grains
- US EPA Approves New Agrisure® Trait Stack from Syngenta
- New Wheat Varieties with Dwarf Genes Show Promise
- South Asia Biotechnology Centre Invites Public Comments to Support GE Mustard
- Study Highlights Impact of Plant Breeding in the EU
- Fern Protein Expression in Cotton Prevents Whitefly Attack
- Researchers Search for Drought-Related Transcription Factors in Common Bean
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Geminivirus-Mediated Genome Editing in Potato Using Sequence-Specific Nucleases
- Researchers Engineer Potyvirus Resistance in Arabidopsis Using CRISPR/Cas9
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Trehalase Genes Regulate Expression of the Chitin Synthesis in Red Flour Beetle
- Biotech Crop Annual Updates and Biotech Trait Annual Updates
Subscribe to CBU: