Mutated Garlic Gene Expressed in Rice Confers Resistance to Sheath BlightMarch 2, 2016
Rice sheath blight caused by Rhizoctonia solani is one of the most devastating diseases of rice and is associated with significant reduction in rice productivity. A mutant variant of mannose binding Allium sativum leaf agglutinin (mASAL) was previously reported to exhibit strong antifungal activity against R. solani. A team from Bose Institute in India, led by Prithwi Ghosh, evaluated the mASAL gene for its in planta antifungal activity in rice plants.
mASAL was expressed in an elite indica rice cv. IR64 through Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation. Molecular analyses of transgenic plants confirmed the presence and stable integration of mASAL gene. Analysis of various tissue sections of plants indicated the expression of mASAL. In planta bioassay of transgenic lines against R. solani exhibited an average of 55% reduction in sheath blight percentage disease index (PDI).
This study presents the possibility of modifying rice plants with the mASAL gene for sheath blight resistance.
To learn more about the study, read the full article in BMC Biotechnology.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- International Team Decodes Mesoamerican Bean Genome
- Researchers Find Molecular Marker for Calcium in Potatoes
- New Study Reveals Eliminating GMOs would Take Toll on Environment, Economies
- Study Shows Plants Forget Unused Memories
- Filipino Farmer Leaders Learn from Bt Brinjal Farmers in Bangladesh
- Genome Sequence of Cultivated Groundnut Completed
- Wageningen UR Develops Method for Selecting Plants with Better Photosynthesis
- Overexpression of PslTIR1 in Tomato alters Fruit Shelf-life Characteristics
- Mutated Garlic Gene Expressed in Rice Confers Resistance to Sheath Blight
- Expression of Tomato Prosystemin in Tobacco Enhances Plant Resistance to Botrytis cinerea
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Bacteria Take "Mug Shots" of Threatening Viruses
- University of Missouri Scientists Breed PRRS Resistant Pigs using CRISPR
From the BICs
- UBIC Holds Meeting for Biotech Communication Stakeholders
- 5th International Conference and Exhibition on Metabolomics
- 3rd Plant Genomics Congress: Asia
Subscribe to CBU: