Ancestry of Native Welsh Sheeps RevealedJune 24, 2015
A team of researchers from Aberystwyth University and Veterinary College of London conducted a study which reveals the history of native Welsh sheep.
By conducting whole genome genotyping of 18 native Welsh sheep breed to evaluate their differences and compared it with other sheep breeds, they were able to identify four genetically different subgroups of native Welsh sheep breeds. Furthermore, their findings reveal that the native Welsh sheep breeds have similar DNA sequences with some of the European breeds suggesting that the two breeds has a common ancestry.
These results can be used as a basis in developing genomics assisted breeding strategies and conducting genome-wide associated studies in sheep.
Details of their study can be read at Aberystwyth University's website.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Scientific American Worldview 2015 Presents 100 Most Influential People in Biotech
- ACP and FAO Strengthen Ties to Achieve Sustainable Development Goals
- Genetic Study of 'Co-evolution' Could Provide Clues to Better Food Production
- U.S. FDA Approves GLA Safflower Meal for Feed Use
- Dual Internal Clocks Keep Plant Defenses on Schedule
- Gene Controlling Soybean's Seed Permeability and Calcium Content Identified
- Small Changes have Large Benefits for Crop Breeding
- Wild Tobacco Plant can be a Key in Attaining Food Security
- Van Montagu Receives Iran Agriculture Gold Medal
- GM Technologies Important Tools, Irish National Parliament Told
- Metabolic Engineering of 2-Phenylethanol Pathway Produces Fragrance Chemical and Reduces Lignin Content in Arabidopsis
- Arabidopsis Leucine-Rich Repeat Extensin (LRX) Vital in Cell Wall Development
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Ancestry of Native Welsh Sheeps Revealed
- University of the Philippines Explores Faster Salmonella Detection in Meat through Biotech
- New Video: The Journey of Mr. Maize to the EU
Subscribe to CBU: