PH Government Grants GM Corn Seeds, Farm Inputs to Farmers Association's Model FarmSeptember 16, 2020
The Philippines Department of Agriculture (DA) through its Regional Office 9 turned over farm inputs to a farmer's association in Zamboanga del Norte in Southern Philippines. The inputs, which included seeds of genetically modified (GM) yellow corn, were given as part of the Plant, Plant, Plant Program of DA Secretary William Dar.
The San Isidro Farmers Association of Sergio Osmeña town of Zamboanga del Norte was the recipient of PhP1.4 million-worth (about US$ 29,000) of farm inputs that also included fertilizers and other farm materials. The farmers were encouraged to observe good farming practices to increase productivity and high yield, and be able to sustain the yellow Corn Model Farm (CMF) project.
Last month, DA unveiled its plans to establish CMFs in the Zamboanga Peninsula in support of Sec. Dar's 8 Paradigms in Agriculture, specifically to level up agriculture in the consolidation of small and medium size farms. Under the CMF project, the farmers went through a series of training to capacitate them to manage the farms and encourage them to invest in cluster production to meet the volume of harvest as dictated by the market demand. Three municipalities were identified for the project: San Miguel and Gutalac towns were selected as CMFs for the white corn open pollinated variety, while the town of Sergio Osmeña will champion the GM yellow corn.
You might also like:
- USDA Reports Significant Agri-biotech Progress in the Philippines
- Biotech Saves Lives, DOH Undersecretary Says
- Biotechnology Gets Attention at Senate of the Philippines
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
- Study Finds COVID-19 Virus Remains in Stool Samples
- Researchers Discover SARS-CoV-2 Uses Heparan Sulfate to Get Inside Cells
News from Around the World
- ANU Book Presents Stories of Communicating Science in 39 Countries
- FAO Reports Lack of Progress in Achieving SDG
- Research Reveals New Insights to Advance Cassava Breeding
- Massive-scale Genomic Study of Almost 80,000 Accessions Reveals Wheat Diversity
- Gene Editing Produces Livestock ‘Surrogate Sires' Successfully Made Fertile
- PH Government Grants GM Corn Seeds, Farm Inputs to Farmers Association's Model Farm
- Research Team Lays Foundation for Crops with Resistance to Combined Climatic Stresses
- cry1Ab Transgene Segregation Patterns of GM Maize Documented
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Research Pinpoints GDSL Esterase/Lipase Protein Vital for Anther and Pollen Development
- CRISPR-Cas9 Elucidates Seed Shattering Reduction during Rice Domestication
Subscribe to CBU: