Brightest Engineered Plants Glow Throughout Life CycleApril 29, 2020
Nature Biotechnology reports genetically engineered tobacco plants that glow brightly during its entire lifetime. The findings of the study conducted by researchers from Planta and the Russian Academy of Sciences could be used in the development of imaging tools for plants.
Compared to previously reported glowing plants, these plants shine 10 times brighter, visible to the naked eye, without the need to be fed with chemicals to continue glowing. Other glowing plants were engineered using bioluminescent bacteria or firefly DNA, but these plants were engineered using the DNA of bioluminescent fungi. The fungal bioluminescence system converts caffeic acid into luciferin, a light-emitting compound that causes bioluminescence. The system was proved to be effective in two species of tobacco, Nicotiana tabacum and Nicotiana benthamiana. Since caffeic acid is present in all plants because it is used in the production of lignin, it is possible that this glowing mechanism could be engineered to other plant species.
Read the research article in Nature Biotechnology.
You might also like:
- Scientists Engineer Silkworms to Produce Glowing Silk Fabric
- Scientists Develop Glowing Plants for Homes and Streets
- Pocket K No. 55: Biotech-improved Animals
ISAAA shares, disseminates, and promotes science-based information to help in achieving global agricultural sustainability and development. During this time of COVID-19 pandemic, we monitor research on treatments, vaccines and keep track of the pandemic's effect on food security and agriculture. We help the public make informed decisions and actions to mitigate and recover from the impact of COVID-19. At this crucial time, we need your help. Please support our efforts today from as little as $10
See more articles:
- FAO, IFAD, World Bank, and WFP Joint Statement on COVID-19 Impacts on Food Security and Nutrition: Countries Must Work Together to Ensure Food for All
- Nanoengineers Combine Molecular Farming and Advanced Manufacturing to Develop COVID-19 Vaccine
News from Around the World
- Global Report Reveals Scope of Food Crises as COVID-19 Poses New Risks to Vulnerable Countries
- New Video: We are ISAAA
- Rice Genetically Engineered to Resist Extreme Heat also Produces Up to 20% More Grain
- 10-year Post-Market Evaluation in EU Reports No Adverse Effects by GM Maize MON810
- Zeaxanthin‐rich Tomato Fruit Developed Through Genetic Manipulations of Carotenoid Biosynthesis
- Brightest Engineered Plants Glow Throughout Life Cycle
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Genome-edited Camelina Receives Positive Response from USDA APHIS, Field Trial Proceeds
- Ag-economist Pushes for Regulatory Reforms, Renewed Public Debate on New Plant Breeding Techniques
Subscribe to CBU: