NAL8 Contributes to Leaf and Spikelet Development in RiceOctober 16, 2019
Researchers identified a protein complex that plays vital roles in many developmental processes, including development of normal leaf width and spikelet number at the reproductive stage in rice. The functions were confirmed in transgenic plants using CRISPR-Cas9 system, RNAi gene silencing system, and overexpressing system. The results are published in BMC Plant Biology.
Leaf morphology and spikelet number are two important traits linked with grain yield. Understanding the molecular mechanisms that regulate the two traits would be vital in the improvement of cereal crops. Chinese Academic of Sciences researchers identified a prohibitin complex 2α subunit, NAL8, which contributes to multiple developmental process and is required for normal leaf width and spikelet number at the reproductive stage in rice. Using CRISPR-Cas9, RNAi, and overexpressing systems, they found that mutation of NAL8 causes a reduction in cell division. The auxin levels in the nal8 mutants were higher than the control, while cytokinin concentrations were lower. Further analyses showed that NAL8 is involved in several hormone signaling pathways as well as photosynthesis in chloroplasts and respiration in mitochondria.
Based on the results of the study, it was concluded that NAL8 works as a molecular chaperone in controlling plant leaf morphology and spikelet number.
Read more results in BMC Plant Biology.
You might also like:
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- 14% of Global Food Goes to Waste, FAO Reports
- Study Reveals the Resilience of Rice to Floods
- Hornless Cattle Now Possible Thanks to Genome-editing
- FDA Approves Texas A&M's Ultra-Low Gossypol Cotton for Human and Animal Consumption
- Genomics-Assisted Breeding Delivers Two Improved Chickpea Varieties in Record Time
- Family of Crop Viruses Shown at High Resolution for the First Time
- Plant Protein that Triggers Photoprotection Identified
- Genetically Engineered Plants Occur in Large Scale Naturally
Plant Breeding Innovations
- NAL8 Contributes to Leaf and Spikelet Development in Rice
- Large-scale Genomics for Wheat Improvement
Subscribe to CBU: