Scientists Sequence Charleston Gray WatermelonMay 22, 2019
Scientists from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Agricultural Research Service (ARS) and their colleagues from various universities have sequenced "Charleston Gray," a watermelon variety that was introduced to the public in 1954 by ARS.
The scientists used the most advanced genomic technologies in the long-term study to sequence the "Charleston Gray" genome and genotyped an additional 1,365 watermelon lines from the USDA National Plant Germplasm System (NPGS). The research team has identified regions in the watermelon genomes that confer disease resistance or control several important fruit quality traits.
The research team, led by ARS geneticist Amnon Levi and Zhangjun Fei at the Boyce Thompson Institute (BTI), collaborated with scientists at BTI, North Carolina State University, Michigan State University, and West Virginia State University on evaluating the genetic diversity of USDA watermelon Plant Introduction (PI) collection.
For more details, read the USDA ARS press release.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- University of Michigan Puts Spotlight on Smarter Food Systems to Attain Zero Hunger
- Ethiopian Women in Biosciences Trained on Science Communication
- Software Locates Sugarcane Genes of Interest
- Scientists Use Open-Source Genetic Analysis Method in Plant Cells for the First Time
- Technology to Measure Plant Improvements Helps Boost Production
- US to Help Pakistan Introduce GE Corn
- UC Professor Emerita Emphasizes on Gene Editing to Achieve Sustainability Needs
- Scientists Discover RNA Controlling Tuber Formation in Potatoes
- Iron-rich GM Wheat Set to Undergo Field Trials
- Sweetpotato Enzymes Expressed in Arabidopsis Revealed Additional Functions of VEPs
- Research Shows How Transposon Insertion Confers Resistance to Bt Cotton in Pink Bollworm
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Experts Use CRISPR-Cpf1 for Cotton Genome Editing
- Successful Deletion of Rice Retrotransposon Using CRISPR-Cas9
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Sequence Charleston Gray Watermelon
Subscribe to CBU: