SEARCA BIC Joins the Celebration of the 14th National Biotechnology WeekNovember 21, 2018
With the theme, Pambansang Hamon, Pambansang Solusyon (Our Nation's Challenge, Our Nation's Solution), the 14th National Biotechnology Week (NBW) of the Philippines highlighted the contributions of biotechnology in agriculture and food security, equitable health care services, development of industries and business enterprises, sustainable environment, and economic development, among others. The NBW celebration ran from November 13-17, 2018 at the World Trade Center, Manila.
The one-week event hosted by the Department of Science and Technology featured trade fairs, career talks, fora, competitions (i.e. poster-making contest, speech choir contest, jingle-making contest), and exhibits. ISAAA along with the SEARCA Biotechnology Information Center (SEARCA BIC) participated in the exhibit. SEARCA BIC's booth was a favorite among students and teachers from various schools and universities who wished to learn more about agri-biotechnology, agriculture, and science through interactive games.
SEARCA BIC also conducted the BIOTEKasayahan, a series of interactive and educational games for the NBW guests and exhibitors, on November 16. BIOTEKasayahan was organized in collaboration with the UP Genetic Researchers and Agricultural Innovators Society (UP GRAINS) and UP League of Agricultural Biotechnology Students (UP LABS). Both UP LABS and UP GRAINS are academic, student-based organization composed of students taking up BS Agricultural Biotechnology at the University of the Philippines Los Baños.
For more updates on biotech in the Philippines, visit the SEARCA BIC website.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- ISAAA Releases Statements on Biotech at the UN Biodiversity Conference in Egypt
- Canadian Seed Trade Association Praises International Statement Supporting Plant Breeding Innovation
- Agriculture and Science Groups Voice Support for International Statement on Plant Breeding Innovation
- Genetically Engineered Corn May Help Offset Effects of Climate Change
- GM Crop Imports to China Could Increase Brazil's Soy Exports
- DIY Crop Speed Breeding to Boost Drought Research
- SEARCA BIC Joins the Celebration of the 14th National Biotechnology Week
- Researchers Discover Novel Switch in Plants Controlling Division and Differentiation
- Several Implications of EU Gene Editing Policy Especially on Coeliac Disease
- EC Chief Scientific Advisors Call for Update of GM Legislation
- Gene Regulates Heat Stress Response in Pepper
Plant Breeding Innovations
- CRISPR-Cas9 Reveals Cotton Bollworm Gene Involved in Insecticide Resistance
- Researchers Apply Gene Editing in Chinese Kale
- CRISPR-Cas9 Used to Confer Virus Resistance in Plants
- Scientist Uses CRISPR-Cas9 to Explore Functions of Auxin
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Genomes of Famous Truffles Reveal Secret of their Perfumes
- Guide to Plant Breeders' Rights in Canada
- ISAAA Biotech/GM Crops Image Gallery
Subscribe to CBU: