New Philippine Biotech Regulatory System Introduced to the PublicSeptember 21, 2016
The Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA) recently conducted a Joint Department Circular (JDC) Public Briefing & Symposium on Agricultural Modernization last September 15, 2016. The symposium was held at the Department of Agriculture (DA) Region 2 Experiment Station in Ilagan, Isabela in the Philippines.
The event was attended by more than 200 farmers, professors, students and various stakeholders from Isabela, Nueva Vizcaya and other nearby provinces. Discussions were made regarding agricultural modernization, including biotechnology, GM crops in the pipeline in the Philippines, safety issues of GM crops, climate-smart agriculture, as well as farmer experience on biotech corn farming.
The highlight of the event was the presentation of the Joint Department Circular to the farmers. Ms. Julieta Fe Estacio, Head Secretariat of the National Committee on Biosafety of the Philippines (NCBP), and Ms. Merle Palacpac, Chief of the Plant Quarantine Service of the Bureau of Plant Industry discussed the new regulatory system for GM crops in the Philippines to the attendees.
The event was conducted in collaboration with the Coalition of Agriculture Modernization in the Philippines (CAMP), the International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-Biotech Applications (ISAAA), and the Department of Agriculture.
For more information, visit the SEARCA BIC website.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Calestous Juma's New Book Explains Why Humans Resist Tech Innovations like Biotech
- Largest-Ever Study of GM Crops Reveals their Environmental Impacts
- Maize Genetics Helps Scientists Study Crop Adaptation to Climate Change
- Australian OGTR Invites Comments for Field Trial of GM Indian Mustard
- OGTR Issues New Application Form for Commercial Release of GM Plants
- USDA GAIN Releases Philippine Biotechnology Update
- FAO to Conduct Agricultural Censuses in Asia to Help Achieve SDGs
- European Commission Approves Syngenta GM Maize
- Transcription Factor ONAC095 Plays Opposite Roles in Drought and Cold Tolerance in Rice
- Plant Defensin from Legume Confers Resistance to Leaf Rust in Wheat
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Researchers Enhance Rice Blast Resistance via CRISPR/Cas9-Targeted Mutagenesis of OsERF922
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Search for Alternative Sources of Vanilla Flavor
From the BICs
- New Philippine Biotech Regulatory System Introduced to the Public
- Proceedings of the 2016 FAO International Symposium on Agricultural Biotechnologies
- Download the Updated Pocket Ks on Biotech
Subscribe to CBU: