India's Agriculture Minister Calls for Adoption of Modern Farm TechnologiesFebruary 13, 2013
Pitching for adoption of modern farm technologies for better yields, India's Agriculture Minister Mr. Sharad Pawar called for adopting scientific solutions to raise farm production at a fast pace. Addressing a conference on ‘Doubling Food Production in Five Years'. He said that farm output could only be increased through raising crop yields of the existing cultivable area. "We should not get carried away by the misplaced apprehensions against the scientifically proven developments such as GM crops," he added.
The Minister stated that India will need to ensure sustainable agricultural growth against the backdrop of limited availability of natural resources, especially cultivable land. Acknowledging that food security is a major concern for the nation, he said that the farmers have the enormous task of feeding a billion plus population. "I am of the firm opinion that we must adopt the modern scientific solutions which are based on sound and proven practices. We also cannot afford to curtail the vigor of our scientific community if they are conducting research with all the precautions." he said.
Highlighting the role of the private sector he said "Private sector seed companies have made contributions by introducing frontier technology which has truly revolutionized yields in some crops. Further research needs to be carried forward for securing breakthroughs in yields in dry land farming conditions faced with Biotic and Abiotic stresses."
For more details visit http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=91963.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- International Group of Scientists Release Draft Sequence of Rubber Tree Genome
- CGIAR to Work with Global Crop Diversity Genebanks Revitalization
- CGIAR Launches Global Research Programs on Grain Legumes and Dryland Cereals
- Kenya National Biosafety Authority Launches Year of Biosafety Advocacy
- Poultry Farmers Call to Lift GM Corn Import Ban in Zimbabwe
- Uganda's Biotechnology and Biosafety Bill Tabled in Parliament
- Purdue University Scientists to Develop Genomic Tools to Improve Sorghum
- Iowa State U Researchers Receive Grant to Enhance Soybean Resistance Against Sudden Death Syndrome
- Farmer Adoption of Biotech Crops in Developing Countries
- India's Agriculture Minister Calls for Adoption of Modern Farm Technologies
- New Model Plant Validation System for Monocot Plants
- Found: Gene that Boosts Digestibility of Sorghum
- Study Finds that Sugar Influences Onset of Flowering
- Scientists to Improve Plants' Oil Content by Unlocking Lipid Pathways
- Effect of Oxalic and Malic Acids in Chickpea Leaf Exudates on the Activity of Cry1Ac towards Pod Borer
- Functional Genomics of Mutant Cotton Reveal Findings for Cotton Fiber Initiation and Elongation
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Genetically Engineered Virus Kills Liver Cancer
- Biotech Students Sequence Gene
- ABIC 2013
- ICFEB 2013
Subscribe to CBU: