CropBiotech Updatehttp://www.isaaa.org/kc/A weekly summary of world developments in agri-biotech for developing countries, produced by the Global Knowledge Center on Crop Biotechnology, International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-biotech Applications SEAsiaCenter (ISAAA).en-usWed, 15 Feb 2017 17:00:00 +0800Development of Low-cost Cellulase Production Process using Trichoderma reeseihttp://www.isaaa.org/kc/cropbiotechupdate/article/default.asp?ID=15175While commercial cellulase enzymes used in industrial scale cellulosic ethanol plants has greatly improved over the past decade, they are still costly. The team of Simo Ellilä of Brasil Ltda aimed to develop a simple, cost-efficient cellulase production process that could be used locally at a Brazilian sugarcane refinery.The team evaluated several ...Wed, 15 Feb 2017 17:00:00 +0800Research and DevelopmentMIT Engineers Modify Yeast to Make it More Efficient in Biodieasel Productionhttp://www.isaaa.org/kc/cropbiotechupdate/article/default.asp?ID=15180Engineers at Massachusetts Institute of Technology have genetically edited a strain of yeast to enable it to convert sugars to fats more efficiently. This could advance the renewable production of high-energy fuels.Renewable fuels made from corn are useful as gasoline additives for running cars. However, large vehicles need more powerful fuels such...Wed, 15 Feb 2017 17:00:00 +0800Research and DevelopmentPNNL Researchers Evaluate Algae to Find the Best Biofuelhttp://www.isaaa.org/kc/cropbiotechupdate/article/default.asp?ID=15186Scientists at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory's Marine Sciences Laboratory, led by Dr. Michael Huesemann, are evaluating algae to find the best biofuel possible. Huesemann started on the algae DISCOVR project (Development of Integrated Screening, Cultivar Optimization and Validation Research) in October 2016 with a small team of senior an...Wed, 15 Feb 2017 17:00:00 +0800Research and DevelopmentSweden Plans to be Carbon-Neutral by 2045http://www.isaaa.org/kc/cropbiotechupdate/article/default.asp?ID=15176Sweden's Prime Minister, Stefan Löfven, has unveiled proposals to go carbon-neutral by 2045. The plan is scheduled to start by 1 January, 2018.The Climate Act would see the nation cut emissions by at least 85% from 1990 levels and offset the remaining 15% by investing in green projects overseas. Under the proposed Climate Act, the government will ...Wed, 15 Feb 2017 17:00:00 +0800News and TrendsCaffè Nero Partners with Bio-bean to Turn Coffee Waste into Bioenergyhttp://www.isaaa.org/kc/cropbiotechupdate/article/default.asp?ID=15187Coffee chain Caffè Nero has announced its plans to recycle coffee grounds from its London stores to make coffee logs, which can be used in boilers and woodburners.The scheme sees recycling specialists First Mile pick up coffee waste from Caffè Nero stores and take it directly to Bio-bean's Cambridgeshire factory to be turned into coffee logs. The c...Wed, 15 Feb 2017 17:00:00 +0800News and TrendsWIU Researcher Aims to Improve Pennycress Through Gene Editinghttp://www.isaaa.org/kc/cropbiotechupdate/article/default.asp?ID=15177Win Phippen of Western Illinois University's Agriculture Department, have recently received a grant through the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Department of Energy to advance research on pennycress, which has potential as a biodiesel feedstock.Pennycress is a winter annual and can be planted in fall, overwinter and be harvested in the ...Wed, 15 Feb 2017 17:00:00 +0800Energy Crops and Feedstocks for Biofuels ProductionResearchers Develop Scheme to Turn Bamboo into High-grade Dissolving Pulp and Ethanolhttp://www.isaaa.org/kc/cropbiotechupdate/article/default.asp?ID=15170Bamboo is an underutilized biomass source despite being similar to wood. The main challenge for the industrial processing of bamboo is the high level of silica, which negetively affects the process. A scheme for the production of pulp from bamboo needs a process for silica removal as well as to fully utilize all of the materials in the process, inc...Wed, 15 Feb 2017 17:00:00 +0800Biofuels ProcessingCultivation and Harvesting of Microalgae using Thermoreversible Sol-Gel Transitionhttp://www.isaaa.org/kc/cropbiotechupdate/article/default.asp?ID=15178Microalgae are promising sources of renewable biomass for the production of biofuels and valuable chemicals. However, energy-efficient cultivation and harvesting methods are needed to improve its economic viability.Syracuse University researchers led by Bendy Estime developed a Tris-Acetate-Phosphate-Pluronic (TAPP) medium to efficiently culture an...Wed, 15 Feb 2017 17:00:00 +0800Biofuels Processing