US Ag Secretary Perdue: "Don't Fear Your Food"February 27, 2019
At the recent U.S. Department of Agriculture 95th Agricultural Outlook Forum held at Arlington, Virginia on February 21-22, 2019, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said, "Consumers need the truth: Don't fear your food" in his keynote speech. During the Forum, two panels discussed advances in agricultural biotechnology and the evolution of federal regulation.
"We need to help inform the nonfarmer to understand that crop protection tools and these technologies help to feed the world and will be needed more in the future," said Perdue, who defended the safety record of agricultural biotechnology use in U.S. agriculture. Secretary Perdue added that despite a sterling safety record for GMO foods, misinformation becomes prevalent, leading to bad policy.
The USA has been at the forefront of biotechnology research, development, and commercialization, and has been the world's top producer of biotech crops since 1996. In 2017, a total of 75 million hectares of biotech crops were planted in the USA.
For more details, visit the Forum website.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO Report: Biodiversity Vital for Food and Agriculture Declining Fast
- USDA FAS Releases Report on Agri-biotech Status of South Africa
- Scientists Develop Wheat that Fights Celiac Disease
- US Ag Secretary Perdue: "Don't Fear Your Food"
- Isabela Governor: "Golden Rice is a Responsible Research"
- Independent Review Finds GM Crop Moratorium in South Australia Costing Farmers Millions
- Researchers Discover How Cell Walls are Assembled
- Overexpression of Maize Gene Enhances Salt and Drought Tolerance in Transgenic Tobacco
- Scientists Develop Method for Regeneration and Transformation of Groundcherry
Plant Breeding Innovations
- CRISPR-Cas9 Used to Develop Lignin-enriched Rice
- Scientist Expounds on Process and Benefits of CRISPR-Cas9 System in SEARCA BIC Policy Brief
- CRISPR-Cas9-mediated Editing Reveals a Major Role of a SUMO Protease in Rice Salt Tolerance
- International Conference on Plant Breeding for Sustainable Development
- Infographics: How Crops are Genetically Modified
- 5 Questions with Dr. CD Mayee, the Farmer's Son Who Became India's Champion of Biotech
Subscribe to CBU: